The January transfer window might seem like a distant memory, but that doesn’t mean the rumour mill has shut down! Speculation over summer moves is heating up, so check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Barca want Morata to bolster attack
Alvaro Morata is the latest player to be linked with a move to the Camp Nou, with Foot Mercato reporting that Barcelona have set their sights on the No. 9 who has spent the past season on loan at Juventus from Atletico Madrid.
The French outlet claims that Juventus are unable to activate the clause of €45 million to make Morata’s move permanent, which means the 28-year-old will return to Spain after registering 18 goals and 10 assists for the Italian club.
This leaves the door open for Barca, who are already looking to overhaul their attack with deals close for Sergio Aguero. Sources told ESPN’s Moises Llorens that the Spanish giants have offered Aguero a two-year contract, and that the Argentina international could arrive to the Camp Nou after the Champions League final between Manchester City and Chelsea on May 29.
The Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano has also reported that Barcelona will make an official offer to Memphis Depay. The Lyon forward has been linked with the Spanish club throughout the year while maintaining good form in the Ligue 1, scoring 20 goals in 32 starts.
09.26 BST: Gareth Bale is planning to return to Real Madrid this summer to see out the last year of his contract before retiring from football, according to AS.
The Madrid-based newspaper reports that Bale, 31, has prioritised avoiding injury at all costs while on loan at Tottenham Hotspur this season to be able to lead Wales at the European Championships in the best possible condition.
The report is somewhat undermined, though, by a closing admission that “with Bale, everything is unpredictable” and that sources close to the player won’t comment on a possible post-Madrid retirement. Bale has previously spoken favourably of a switch to MLS, saying he’d “definitely be interested” in a future move to the United States.
08.43 BST: Veteran goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon is leaving Juventus at the end of the season but he could continuie his career in Italy, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.
Buffon, 43, played the final game of his second spell at Juve on Wednesday when he helped them beat Atalanta 2-1 in the Coppa Italia final.
Among the various proposals, Buffon could be tempted by Serie B side Monza who have reportedly made an offer for the 2006 World Cup winner.
08.00 BST: Tottenham captain Harry Kane has fuelled speculation that he could leave the club this summer and reiterated his stance that he doesn’t plan to stay at the club for the rest of his career.
On Monday, sources told ESPN that Kane had informed Spurs of his desire to depart after another trophyless season with Premier League clubs Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea all interested in the striker.
Speaking with former United captain Gary Neville on The Overlap earlier this month, Kane said his ambition is to become one of the best players in world football.
“I don’t want to come to the end of my career and have any regrets,” he said. “I want to be the best I can be. I never said I’d stay at Spurs for the rest of my career and I’ve never said I’d leave Spurs.
“People might say: ‘He’s desperate for trophies, he needs trophies,’ but I still feel like I’ve still got almost another career to play. I’ve got seven, eight years, kind of what I’ve already had in the Premier League. So I’m not rushing anything, I’m not desperate to do anything.
“I’m not afraid to say I want to be the best. I want to try and get on the level [Cristiano] Ronaldo and [Lionel] Messi got to. That’s my ultimate goal — to be winning trophies season in, season out, scoring 50, 60, 70 goals season in, season out.”
PAPER GOSSIP (by Adam Brown)
– Barcelona are looking to reacquire Adrian Bernabe, who left the Spanish club to join Manchester City in 2018, according to Mundo Deportivo. The 19-year-old midfielder, who can also play left-back, is set to be out of contract in the summer and could join Eric Garcia, who has also been rumoured with a return to La Liga.
– The race for Carney Chukwuemeka is heating up with a number of clubs interested in the Aston Villa prospect. Bild reports that Borussia Dortmund are among the clubs monitoring the situation of the 17-year-old, who made his Premier League debut on Wednesday against Tottenham Hotspur, with the belief that he can follow in the footsteps of Jude Bellingham.
– Another from Fabrizio Romano here, who claims that Lyon centre-back Joachim Andersen is receiving interest regarding a potential transfer back to the Premier League. The Denmark defender spent the past season on loan at Fulham and is reported to want to stay in the England’s top flight, with Spurs at the front of the line to secure the services of the 24-year-old.
– Leeds United are reportedly looking to add another Brazilian to their ranks with Matheus Cunha of Hertha Berlin hot on Marcelo Bielsa’s radar. That’s according to Kicker, which reports that the English club have intensified their pursuit for 21-year-old attacker. Cunha predominantly plays on the left-hand side, which could see him lining up on the opposite flank to Raphinha, who joined at Elland Road in October.
– Arsenal’s shortlist of attacking midfielders is growing stronger with Dortmund’s Julian Brandt the latest candidate to replace Martin Odegaard. Kicker claims that the North London club are still very much interested in the 25-year-old Germany international, though the Dortmund hierarchy could demand a notable fee with the attacking midfielder contracted until 2024.